Free Radicals & Hydrogen Healthcare
Do you know Free Radicals?
- Free radicals are atoms or groups of atoms with an odd (unpaired) number of electrons.
- Free radicals are very unstable and react quickly with other compounds, trying to capture the needed electron to gain stability.
- Generally, free radicals attack the nearest stable molecule, “stealing” its electron. When the “attacked” molecule loses its electron, it becomes a free radical itself, beginning a chain reaction. Once the process is started, it can cascade, finally resulting in the disruption of a living cell.
- The oxygen absorbed during the breathing process is used in the process of producing energy, and 2 ~ 5% of the active oxygen is inevitably generated like car exhausts.
When do free radicals occur?
How do they affect human body?
90% cause of 36,000 types of human disease is free radicals
Beginning with Johns Hopkins University study in 1991, many studies have shown that free radicals affect 90% of human disease.
AN EMERGING MEDICAL GAS WITH THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL
International Journal of Clinical Medicine January, 2016
- With 1,600 scientists worldwide studying molecular hydrogen, the current number of 600 published studies and reviews is expected to grow exponentially in the coming years.
- At this time, the scientific community has indicated that molecular hydrogen may be beneficial in more than 170 diseases and for every organ in the human body.
How It Works
- Hydrogen molecules (H2) protect cells from oxidative damage by neutralizing free radicals.
- H2 scavenges the most harmful free radicals (hydroxyl radical) among active oxygens, converting it to water according to the reaction :
“It is not an overstatement to say that hydrogen’s impact on
Therapeutic and preventive medicine
could be enormous in the future.”
- Increases antioxidant levels
- Reduces recovery time after exercise
- Neutralizes free radicals
- Protects the DNA, RNA and proteins from oxidative stress
- Supports cellular signaling
- Triggers the activation of additional antioxidant enzymes ( glutathione, superoxide dismutase, catalase, etc. )
- Helps improve energy levels
Articles on hydrogen therapeutic effects
- Hydrogen Improves Glycemic Control in Type1 Diabetic Animal Model by Promoting Glucose Uptake into Skeletal Muscle. PLoS One, 2013.
- Anti Type 2 Diabetic Effect and Anti-oxidation Effect in Active Hydrogen Water Administration KK-Ay Mice. Medicine and Biology, 2006.
- Effects of alkaline ionized water on spontaneously diabetic GK-rats fed sucrose. Korea. J. of Lab. Anim Sa, 1997.
- Therapeutic effects of hydrogen saturated saline on rat diabetic model and insulin resistant model via reduction of oxidative stress.
Chin Med J (Engl), 2012.
- Anti-diabetes effect of water containing hydrogen molecule and Pt nanoparticles. BMC Proc, 2011.
- Suppressive effects of electrolyzed reduced water on alloxan-induced apoptosis and type 1 diabetes mellitus. Cytotechnology, 2011
- Anti-diabetic effects of electrolyzed reduced water in streptozotocin-induced and genetic diabetic mice. Life Sci, 2006.
- Protection of oral hydrogen water as an antioxidant on pulmonary hypertension. Mol Biol Rep, 2013.
- Protective effects of hydrogen-rich saline on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in a rat model. Respir Res, 2011.
- Chronic hydrogen-rich saline treatment reduces oxidative stress and attenuates left ventricular hypertrophy in spontaneous hypertensive rats. Mol Cell Biochem, 2012.
- Chronic hydrogen-rich saline treatment attenuates vascular dysfunction in spontaneous hypertensive rats. Biochemical Pharmacology, 2012.
- Influence of Hydrogen Discharged from Palladium Base Hydrogen Storage Alloys on Cancer Cells. Materials Science Forum, 2012.
- Platinum nanocolloid-supplemented hydrogen dissolved water inhibits growth of human tongue carcinoma cells preferentially over normal cells. Exp Oncol, 2009.
- Enhanced induction of mitochondrial damage and apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells due to electrolyzed-reduced water and glutathione. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem, 2009.
- Antitumor effects of nano-bubble hydrogen-dissolved water are enhanced by coexistent platinum colloid and the combined hyperthermia with apoptosis-like cell death. Oncol Rep, 2010.
- Molecular Hydrogen Improves Obesity and Diabetes by Inducing Hepatic FGF21 and Stimulating Energy Metabolism in db/db Mice. Obesity, July 2011
- Increased Oxidative Stress in Obesity and Its Impact on Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2004
- Molecular hydrogen attenuates fatty acid uptake and lipid accumulation through downregulating CD36 expression in HepG2 cells. Medical Gas Research, 2013
- Hydrogen-Rich Electrolyzed Warm Water Represses Wrinkle For-mation against UVA Ray Together with Type-1 Collagen Production and Oxidative Stress Dimishment in Fibroblasts and Cell-Injury Prevention in Keratinocytes. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2012
- Effects of Hydrogen-Rich Water on Aging Periodontal Tissues in Rats. Scientific Reports, 2014
- Hydrogen Water Intake via Tube-Feeding for Patients with Pressure Ulcers and Its Reconstructive Effects on Normal Human Skin Cells,in Vitro. Medical Gas Research 2013
- Beneficial Effects of Hydrogen-Rich Saline on Early Burn-Wound Progression in Rats. PLoS ONE, 2015
- The Drinking Effect of Hydrogen Water on Atopic Dermatitis Induced by Dermatophagoides farinae Allergen in NC/Nga Mice. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013
- Hydrogen-Rich Saline Improves Memory Function in a Rat Model of Amyloid-Beta induced Alzheimer’s Disease by Reduction of Oxidative Stress. Brain Research, 2010
- Molecular Hydrogen Is Protective against 6-Hydroxydopamine-induced Nigrostrial Degeneration in a Rat Model of Parkinson’s Disease. Neuroscience Letters, 2009
- Hydrogen in the Drinking Water Reduces Dopaminergic Neuronal Loss in the 1-Methyl-4-Phenyl-1,2,3,6-Tetrahydropyridine Mouse Modelof Parkinson’s Disease. PLoS ONE, 2009
- Pilot Study of H2 Therapy in Parkinson’s Disease: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial. Movement Disorders, 2013
- Molecular Hydrogen in Drinking Water Protects against Neurodegenerative Changes Induced by Traumatic Brain Injury. PLoS ONE, 2014
- Molecular Hydrogen: New Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Therapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Related Diseases.
Current Pharmaceutical Design, 2013
- Consumption of Water Containing a High Concentration of Molecular Hydrogen Reduces Oxidative Stress and Disease Activity in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Open-Label Pilot Study. Medical Gas Research, 2012
- Therapeutic Efficacy of Infused Molecular Hydrogen in Saline on Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. International Immunopharmacology, 2014
- Improvement of Psoriasis-Associated Arthritis and Skin Lesions by Treatment with Molecular Hydrogen: A Report of Three Cases. Molecular Medicine Reports, 2015
- Hydrogen-Rich Saline Attenuates Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Skeletal Muscle. Journal of Surgical Research, 2015
- Effectiveness of Oral and Topical Hydrogen for Sports-Related Soft Tissue Injuries. Postgraduate Medicine, 2014
- Pilot Study: Effects of Drinking Hydrogen-Rich Water on Muscle Fatigue Caused by Acute Exercise in Elite Athletes. Medical Gas Research, 2012
- Effect of Treadmill Exercise and Hydrogen-Rich Water Intake on Serum Oxidative and Anti-Oxidative Metabolites in Serum of Thoroubred Horses. Journal of Equine Science, 2013